[Tweeters] Birding east of the Cascades 3-19-16

Izzy Wong gobirder at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 20:05:09 PDT 2016

Today, we ventured out for our first ‘east of the mountains’ birding excursion of the year.

Given the date, our target bird was at least an audible of the SAGEBRUSH SPARROW. We hoped that we’d be successful somewhere along the Old Vantage Hwy, but no luck. However, we did hear and see two SAGE THRASHERS. I believe this is a tad on the early side for them, so their presence was a nice surprise.
Male and female MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDS (heavy on the blue, for the male) were found in at least a couple of spots along Vantage. We also heard and eventually got great views of a LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE.

We were thrilled to see three ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS at various points along I-90.

Gingko St. Pk was fairly quiet, but we saw two SAY’S PHOEBES chasing each other and focused on nest-building.

VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS were active at Frenchmen Coulee, but not much else.

From there, we decided to try our luck with the SAGEBRUSH SPARROW further along Silica Rd. We were just about to give up when we flushed two of them and got excellent views as they perched, with one singing.

TURKEY VULTURES are definitely back, as we saw several throughout the day.

Saw lots of other birdies, some nesting, so it was a great day, with beautiful weather and a nice taste of Spring.

isadora wong
seattle, wa
gobirder at gmail.com