[Tweeters] Marymoor Say's Phoebe and Common Redpoll - Monday

Birder1944 at aol.com Birder1944 at aol.com
Mon Mar 21 14:29:47 PDT 2016

This morning at about 10:100 AM at Marymoor Park in Redmond, I looked for
the Burrowing Owl with several other birders, but no one saw it, as far as I
know.

I went to the south end of the East Meadow and immediately found the Say's
Phoebe, just south of the gardener's shed. Before I got that far, though,
I saw a small bird fly into a bare tree next to the shed. I was puzzled
by it. It stayed high in the tree and the light was terrible, of coursed,
with a bright cloudy sky. Eventually I had to leave and when I got back to
my car I was able to see that the bird looked just like the picture in my
field guide of a first winter Common Redpoll. Not a bird I had expected to
see today, but a very pleasant surprise.

I took a lot of pictures (in the terrible lighting), and five of them are
shown here:

http://barry15.com/2016_Birding_Reports/Marymoor_Redpoll/index.html

If I've got the identification wrong, please correct me. I've only seen
redpolls before at feeders in the Okanogan in the winter, never feeding in
trees. The bird was alone and fed like a finch, hanging upside down and at
all angles. Orange bill, white wing bar, gray on top and lighter below,
streaks on the sides of the breast, with a reddish-brown cap on the top of its
head, not extending to the sides of the head. The tail was forked.