[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 3/23/16

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 16:38:04 PDT 2016

Tweets,

Today 30 of us enjoyed a mostly dry walk at Nisqually. It was overcast
and in the upper 40s at 8:00 when we started and later it got rainy
and the wind picked up. We had a 2.6 low tide at 12:58 PM, so lots of
mud in the reclamation area.

Our best bird may have been the MERLIN in the big fir tree behind the
visitor center, although we did see several YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS and
RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRDS as well as a small flock of DUNLIN.

Waterfowl numbers are down but WOOD DUCK and HOODED MERGANSER numbers
are up. A male EURASIAN WIGEON continues in the pond across from the
main parking lot and several DOWNY WOODPECKERS were working the trees
near the woodland trail.

We did see lots of VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS, with a few TREE SWALLOWS
mixed in, just the opposite of last week. We also managed to spot a
couple of NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS over the pond south of the
twin barns. Some of the folks also saw a BARN SWALLOW that eluded me.

Water levels are dropping and trees are starting to leaf out so Spring
in well on the way. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we see
migration ion full swing.

Until next week when Shep and Eric will lead.....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA