[Tweeters] the search for the Burrowing Owl ...

Lyn Topinka pointers at pacifier.com
Fri Mar 25 21:59:24 PDT 2016

Gene and I FINALLY got the Steigerwald Burrowing Owl today ... our journey lasted one week, four attempts, and all sorts of weather.

first attempt --- we took a scope and cameras, bundled up in hats and mittens and braved the STRONG Columbia River winds, and hiked the long way in through the Refuge ... no Owl.

second attempt --- we ditched the scope and just took cameras, bundled up in hats and mittens and braved the STRONG Columbia River winds, and switched to hiking in the shorter way along the dike ... no Owl.

third attempt --- we were smart and took chairs, kept the cameras, bundled up in rain gear and braved the on/off drizzle and cold wind, and again came in the shorter route ... no Owl.

fourth attempt --- we again took chairs, I ditched the cameras and instead took a light-weight superzoom, and we enjoyed a beautiful Spring afternoon ... it was amazing how short the hike along the dike now seemed ... and SUCCESS !!!! ... while scanning the area Randy Hill had last seen the Owl yesterday, a rock MOVED !!! ... it was the Owl !!!

here's two pix taken with the Nikon P900 superzoom.

http://northwestbirding.com/Images16Mar/steigerwald_lake_NWR_burrowing_owl_from_dike_03-25-16.jpg

http://northwestbirding.com/Images16Mar/steigerwald_lake_NWR_burrowing_owl_from_dike_03-25-16_B.jpg

enjoy,
Lyn