[Tweeters] Tough little grosbeak

James P. Beneteau beneteau at wavecable.com
Sat Mar 26 09:48:01 PDT 2016

About a week and a half ago, I noticed one of the Evening Grosbeaks
climbing a bush from near the ground up about half-way into the maple
tree above the bush. She simply used her beak and legs to move from
branch to branch. It struck me after a bit that one wing was slightly
droopy and probably not working.
I hadn't seen her again and assumed that a Coopers had probably had
gotten her but today I saw one on the ground under the feeders
hopping about looking for spilled seed. OK; they do go to the ground
but seem to prefer going on the feeders. As I watched, sure enough,
she had the droopy wing. After a bit, she hopped over to the garden
about 30 feet away. No flight. Must be the same one.
Hang in there, sweetie!

Jim Beneteau
Arlington, Wa