[Tweeters] Black-backed Woodpeckers N. F. Teanaway Road

Steve Loitz steveloitz at gmail.com
Mon May 2 12:43:10 PDT 2016

Yesterday I saw three Black-backed Woodpeckers foraging among recently
burned Ponderosa Pines on the E side of North Fork Teanaway Road, a bit S
of Camp Wahoo. This was the first time I've seen BBWO this low in the
Teanaway watershed. (Previous lowest sighting was on the S ridge of Iron
Peak.) I saw a few American Three-toed Woodpeckers foraging in more dense
forest on the W side of the road.

The road has a minor washout 1.5 miles below the DeRoux CG turnoff. A 4WD
or AWD with 8"+ clearance can get past the washout with care. A deep snow
patch blocks the road another 3/4 mile up the road, but should soon melt
out.

--
Steve Loitz
Seattle, WA