[Tweeters] Mystery Bird (Audio)

James Rufo Hill rufo.hill at gmail.com
Tue May 3 14:27:17 PDT 2016

I'm amid my first spring in a new habitat and am vexed by this one.

The calls showed up around the second week of April; since then the
frequency and duration of the calls have decreased but I still hear
occasionally them. This bird seems to favor calling only while hidden among
the tops of low cedars, which in this case are placed atop a suburban West
Puget Sound bluff.

I'm not sure whether all 3 belong to the same species, but they are similar
in vocal strength and tone. I was at first hopeful that I had a rare Rock
Wren migrating to the NE Olympics, but I'm afraid it's just a new variation
on a familiar bird. Any ideas?

1.) 5-6 loud, harsh *schees*: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz85KvVVTTM

2.) 2 loud, buzzy *zreep-zreep:* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42vyCibVybk

3.) 5-6 rapid *cheets: *https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVtVNeZyhaA