[Tweeters] Herrings House Park Martin/Tern airshow

Ed Newbold ednewbold1 at yahoo.com
Sun May 8 21:24:02 PDT 2016

Hi all,
Delia and I had been down to Herrings House Park in the middle of the a day recently and dipped on Martins, so today we decided to catch the Park toward dusk in the hope of intercepting the Martins on their homeward flight.  Brian Pendleton (and perhaps others) reported Martins at this location about 2 weeks ago.
We waited awhile watching the 36 +- Caspian Tern airshow.  Caspian Terns are endlessly entertaining as well as gorgeous.  This bird has been mercilessly chased from nest sites all over the Basin, I wonder if they do or are thinking about nesting here (?)
The Great Blue Herons seem to be doing ok at Kellogg Island-which is especially nice to know as their survival was argument #1 in the campaign Doug Wechsler waged circa 1977-78 to set Kellogg aside for nature.  Thanks Doug!
We picked up our FOY Spotted Sandpipers, vocalizing and flying around, plus Killdeer.  There was a squadron of maybe 20 Common Mergansers, a Belted Kingfisher, Tree and Violet-green Swallows, & American Goldfinch singing from Kellogg, an Orange-crowned Warbler, an Osprey, plus Gadwall, Mallard and Canada Geese (and a Pigeon Guillemot later at T105)
Then we finally heard the Martins cruising in from the East with their impossibly loud and cheerful notes.  There may have been only four, we never saw more than that; they sure seemed a tightknit group.
It's nice to see the great condition of the Martin boxes both there and at Jack Block--Kevin Li would be glad to know somebody has been really on the ball on this:  A big thanks to whoever you are!

Best wishes all,
Ed Newbold