[Tweeters] Tanager and goldfinch

Christine Southwick clsouth at u.washington.edu
Mon May 9 07:56:25 PDT 2016

Yesterday morning while walking my dog (0630), I heard the distinctive call notes of a Western Tanager.
So I was on the lookout at my feeders. Late morning, I thought I saw a Western Tanager (WETA). Wait, no, now it looks like a American Goldfinch (AMGO). Working in the garden off and on, I would catch a glimpse of a yellowish-greenish bird--no wait, that is really bright yellow.

When in doubt, look at the wing bars. I was finally next to my binoculars when I saw the bird again--that one at the feeder was definitely a WETA.

That settled, I showed the difference in wingbars to my dog-walking friend (my version of birding 101 for her) that afternoon.

Imagine my surprise, and personal gratification, when I saw both a male AMGO and then the female WETA at my back feeders at the same time, while I was standing BBQing at about 6:00 pm. Both first of-the-year (FOY) for me at my feeders.

My eyes aren't going--my ID skills are still working, at least somewhat...

Christine Southwick
N Seattle/Shoreline
clsouthwick at q.com