[Tweeters] Peregrine predation on a Red-necked Phalarope, Manzanita, OR

Robin Baird rwbaird at cascadiaresearch.org
Tue May 10 12:13:49 PDT 2016

On Sunday May 8th we were very surprised to see an adult Red-necked Phalarope on the beach at Manzanita, Oregon. It was clearly debilitated - the phalarope was sitting on the sand, and would get washed up the beach as waves came in. When I walked towards it, it stood up and started trying to feed, but we weren’t sure if it could fly. We speculated that it was not long for this world, and we were trying to decide whether we could catch it to take it to a rehab facility when it finally took off and flew. It was being chased by a Peregrine Falcon. After a short (~30 second) chase the Peregrine grabbed the phalarope and flew off with it, solving our dilemma as to whether we should try to catch it.

Robin