Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu May 12 14:57:16 PDT 2016

Tweets – We had a glorious day today, with a cool morning that warmed pretty fast in full sunshine. There were lots of birds and lots of birds singing and lots of new arrivals.

Highlights:

Wood Duck More mixed WODU/Hooded Merganser clutches
Green Heron Two adults landed out from Lake Platform
Bald Eagle Again, many sightings, several juveniles of various ages
Spotted Sandpiper 1 at weir
Mourning Dove First of Year, Pea Patch, one bird
Barn Owl Matt had two very early
Short-eared Owl I saw one, East Meadow & R/C Field, just before 5am
Western Wood-Pewee At least 2, First of Year
Pacific-slope Flycatcher 2-3
Warbling Vireo Many, active, singing
Swainson’s Thrush 4+, seen well, singing, First of Year
Cedar Waxwing 2 along slough – First of Year
Yellow Warbler 6+, lots of song – First of Year
Wilson’s Warbler Maybe a dozen+, singing
Western Tanager Several
Bl.-headed Grosbeak First females of the year, and MANY singing males
LAZULI BUNTING 1-2 singing males, Viewing Mound and N. of fields 7-8-9
Bullock’s Oriole Several sightings, incl. breeding male and 1st year male
Evening Grosbeak Single-bird flyover

The quantity of songs today was astounding, making counting species such as Wilson’s Warbler and especially Black-headed Grosbeak extremely difficult. “LOTS” isn’t a valid count in eBird :(

It was also a good mammal day, with 2 DEER in the model airplane field early, a couple of BEAVER sightings, and a COYOTE.

For the day, 69 species. adding MOURNING DOVE, WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE, SWAINSON’S THRUSH, CEDAR WAXWING, YELLOW WARBLER, and LAZULI BUNTING, we’re up to 127 species for the year.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com