[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 5/11/16

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Thu May 12 18:48:24 PDT 2016

Tweets,

Yesterday 40some of us enjoyed a great day at Nisqually. It was clear and
cool at the start but quickly warmed up. We had a 12.4 high tide at 9:01 so
mostly mud by the time we got to the reclamation area.

Highlights started at the visitor center viewing platform as we were
treated to a pair of BULLOCK'S ORIOLES and a nesting DOWNEY WOODPECKER. In
the orchard we had a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER fly by and several YELLOW
WARBLERS and CEDAR WAXWINGS. In fact there were YELLOW WARBLERS calling
everywhere on the refuge.

There were several broods of geese and ducks on the refuge and we saw 3
GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE on the flats south of the twin barns with some
CANADA GEESE.

Out in the pond/mud flats inside the new dike we spotted a female
YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD. She was foraging on the flats and provided great
views. We found a BUSHTIT nest near the woodland trail turn off and had a
BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER in the same area.

For the day I had 54 species and now have 131 for the year. Mammals seen
were COYOTE, BLACK-TAILED DER and COTTONTAILED RABBIT.

Until next week......

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA