[Tweeters] RFI: Alaska cruise. Scope Yes or No.

ray holden rayleeholden at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 20:41:45 PDT 2016

One the 21st I'll be taking the 7 days cruise to Alaska on the Norwegian Star.   This is my 8th cruise so I'm familiar with the experience.  Some were pre-birding and the rest have been pre-scope birding so I've never taken one.  Nor have I ever run into anyone watching birds with a scope on a ship.  I know that the consensus used to be that a ship is too unstable to use a telescope.  However modern cruise ships are pretty stable and the unless there is a storm there is no swell and only small waves on the Inside Passage.  Low power at 20x isn't that much more than 10x bins and I've gotten good pictures with a lot longer zoom.  Then of course you can take it ashore on stops. Frankly I've been to AK so many times the usual tourist traps have no interest.  On the on the other hand it's a gadget you have to keep up with and check in with every time you come back on board.   Experiences and ideas are welcome.  Also birding spots close to town in SE AK?  I know about the dump in Juneau by the way.  Anybody else going on this cruise?  Ray Holden
Olympia, WA

Life is for the birds.