[Tweeters] Western Kingbird at Three Crabs, Y-b Loon at Port Angeles

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Sun May 15 08:45:52 PDT 2016

On Saturday, May 13, Linda Feltner and I saw a Western Kingbird on a wire just east of where the Three Crabs Restaurant used to be at Dungeness. A male Purple Martin was sailing around overhead. A male Blue-winged Teal was in the pond on the south side of the road. I don’t know the status of these latter species there, so I’m mentioning them.

We spotted the immature Yellow-billed Loon from the Port Angeles City Pier, but it was several hundred yards to the east and closer to shore. There was also a female Black Scoter, an immature Red-throated Loon and at least two Common Loons in full breeding plumage. The pier is a great place to see the real beauty and courtship activities of Rock Pigeons, too (maybe because everything was spectacular in the bright sun)! The water is so clear that we easily saw red rock crabs and kelp crabs foraging below us, a delightful place to scrutinize the marine environment too. I had never been there before, and I highly recommend a visit.
-----
Dennis Paulson
1724 NE 98 St.
Seattle, WA 98115