[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR Wednesday Walk May 25th, 2016

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Wed May 25 22:06:02 PDT 2016

Hi Tweets,

forty or so of us enjoyed a cool day at the Refuge with temperatures in the
50's degrees Fahrenheit, but the birding warmed us up with highlights
including sixty plus AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN, PECTORAL SANDPIPER, and
WESTERN KINGBIRD.

Starting out at the Visitor Center at 8am, we had nice looks of BULLOCK'S
ORIOLE, HOODED MERGANSER and CEDAR WAXWING.

On the west side of the Twin Barns Loop Trail we observed TREE SWALLOW,
AMERICAN GOLDFINCH, SONG SPARROW, BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE, COOPER'S HAWK and
YELLOW WARBLER. There were lots of babies to enjoy including WOOD DUCK,
and a RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD nest in a Maple Tree just west of the last
observation platfrom before the Twin Barns cut-off. We had great looks of
WILLOW FLYCATCHER, breeding SWAINSON'S THRUSH and BULLOCK'S ORIOLE building
a nest in a Cottonwood on the inside of the loop just east of the cut-off.

The Twin Barns Observation Platform provided great looks of CLIFF SWALLOW
and BARN SWALLOW. WESTERN TANAGERS were observed eating Elder Berry.
Jerry Broadus spotted a large flock of approximately 70 AMERICAN WHITE
PELICANS souring over the Nisqually Reach which we enjoyed for several
minutes.

Out on the new dike or Nisqually Estuary Trail we were able to relocate a
late PECTORAL SANDPIPER on the mudflats in the fresh water marsh. We also
had great looks at CINNAMON TEAL and BLUE-WINGED TEAL. Other species seen
were CANADA GOOSE, MALLARD, NORTHERN SHOVELER, AMERICAN WIGEON, and
GREEN-WINGED TEAL. Additional babies included PIED-BILLED GREBE and
VIRGINIA RAIL. We also added a few BANK SWALLOW to our list.

On the Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail we enjoyed COMMON MERGANSER,
RING-BILLED GULL, GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL, CALIFORNIA GULL, CASPIAN TERN,
GREAT BLUE HERON, and BELTED KINGFISHER. There may be a chick in the BALD
EAGLE nest on the west bank of McAllister Creek south of the McAllister
Creek Viewing Platform and an adult continues on the north nest. NORTHERN
ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS continue to investigate potential nesting cavities
along the west bank of the creek.

On our return, we had great looks of AMERICAN KESTREL and two PEREGRINE
FALCON on the surge plain. While checking out the falcon show, Jon
Anderson spotted and relocated the WESTERN KINGBIRD, seen the previous day,
flying from the surge plain to the field south and west of the Twin Barns.

Along the east side of the Twin Barns Loop Trail we picked up BLACK-HEADED
GROSBEAK, BROWN CREEPER, DOWNY WOODPECKER, RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER, BUSHTIT
and BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER.

Another great day at the Refuge with 75 species seen and a total of 149
species for the walk on the year.

Mammals seen included Cotton-tailed Rabbit, River Otter, Harbor Seal,
California Sea Lion and Columbia Black-tailed Deer.

Until next week when we meet again, happy birding.

Shep

--
Shep Thorp
Browns Point