[Tweeters] Osprey distress calls in the dark

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Wed May 25 23:30:14 PDT 2016

Tonight, while I was listening to and sometimes watching the wonderful Stephen Hawking special "Genius" on PBS, and was following along pretty well on a line of thought, when there were some strange calls seeming to emanate from the TV, alternately escalating and diminishing in intensity. Then I realized it sounded like the calls were like the Osprey calls I have been hearing over my house for weeks now . So I went outdoors (at about 9:30 p.m., in the almost-darkness), and heard and saw mostly one Osprey, circling and shrieking in seeming anguish, right over my house, but up pretty high. Occasionally a second, different call was made from a different place in the sky. Before this, I have only heard and seen the Ospreys (presumably from Magnuson Park/NOAA area) in the daylight, and not so agitated. I envisioned a predator of some sort having taken eggs or young - seemed too late for eagles - maybe a Barred Owl ? Barn Owl ? Raccoon ? Flying Coywolf ? If any of you who know where the platform nest(s) are, could keep this in mind if you are over looking at/for the Ospreys and note their behavior. I will try to get over to the boat - launch area tomorrow to take a look at that nest, but I will also be listening for Ospreys here at the house, too.
After I came back in the house at about 9:45(the crying had stopped), once again, at 9:55, I heard a bit more crying but it stopped after one round.
I continued watching the 2-hr. "Genius" show on KCTS !

Barb Deihl
barbdeihl at comcast.net