[Tweeters] Magnuson Park, 27 May 2016

Scott Ramos lsr at ramoslink.info
Fri May 27 21:45:40 PDT 2016

After traveling for 10 days (N.M.), it was nice to be back in the NW and to the local parks. Although the welcome was not the best: pouring rain while I was checking the owl boxes early, heavy enough that for the first hour after beginning my walkabout, I used an umbrella. A mixed bag—I did stay pretty dry but couldn’t hear anything over the noise of the raindrops. Fortunately, the rain gradually subsided and the day turned out quite spectacular by mid-day. And the birds seemed to agree—lots of activity, particularly with many young birds out and about. Lots of noteworthy sightings today:

Common Merganser - female with but one chick
California Quail - a pair walking the road below Kite Hill
Cooper’s Hawk - one flew from Promontory Point; weeks ago, we saw nest construction but since then, there has been no obvious action; hopefully, that just means we have not located the real nest
Red-tailed Hawk - an adult mobbed by at least 30 crows; it was carrying prey, large and black and probably a crow chick, thus the welcoming committee
Virginia Rail - 3 locations; the best was by Frog Pond where an adult (or two?) called a flock of 5 young birds across the trail; at this location, the trail is about 3 m wide and the rail-ettes knew to skittle across the trail quickly, but not always gracefully—one tripped while running and did a face plant before recovering
Spotted Sandpiper - finally, an adult in the area where they have bred for several years, by Crescent Pond; FOY
Ring-billed and California Gull - couple dozen each, almost all were first year birds
Band-tailed Pigeon - calling from Promontory Point
Mourning Dove - 2 flew over the N-S trail; FOY
Barn Owl - one on branch beside tennis center box but flew off; hissing from inside box
Rufous Hummingbird - perhaps as many as 18 for the day, almost all appeared to be juveniles; many were in constant altercations with male Anna’s
Downy Woodpecker - a few; one male was bringing food to a nest hole, then carrying away fecal sacs
Flycatchers - Western Wood-Pewee (3), Hammond’s (FOY) and Pacific-slope
Black-capped and Chestnut-backed Chickadee - a pair each bringing food to nest holes
Bushtit - at least one remaining active nest
Sparrows - Dark-eyed Junco, White-crowned and Song Sparrow, plus Spotted Towhee were all feeding recently fledged birds
Black-headed Grosbeak - a few, at least one pair; FOY
Lazuli Bunting - a pair in the neighborhood of a nest site of several years running; FOY
Yellow-headed Blackbird - 3 birds on the softball field, one adult; FOY
Brown-headed Cowbird - one juvenile was hanging around with a couple of juvi House Finch, all of which were chasing an adult pair
Bullock’s Oriole - one calling from near last year’s nest tree, another near the wetlands

For the day, 62 species; 8! new species for me today, bring the year total to 117.
Checklists: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29940394 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29940394>
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29940395 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29940395> (with Jan Bragg)
Scott Ramos
Seattle