[Tweeters] Chelan century day

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Sat May 28 18:18:22 PDT 2016

Hey all!

I woke up... Well a bit early, and birded Chelan County today. To be honest, I haven't even made it out of the Chelan-Wenatchee corridor, all in all, but there's just a lot of birds out here, so I have called it quits (probably... I mean... Those stupid Poorwill avoided me this morning!) at 102 ish species.

Highlights:

Yesterday on the 800 spur of FR7324, Williamson's Sapsucker

Owling on Eagle Creek Road yielded Flammulated, Barred and Great Horned. Then the birds woke up and it yielded five billion birds, the most interesting being (I believe) an American Redstart. It was still darkish, but I got a recording, which I'll have the scrutinous folks at eBird scrutinize.

On FR 65 above Lake Wenatchee, I found a couple code 4 Black-throated Gray Warblers, and at a wet meadow just before 65 crosses a bridge I found Ruffed Grouse, Virginia Rail, Common Yellowthroat, Sora and Yellow-headed Blackbird.

At Fish Lake, a Peregrine Falcon joined the half-dozen Osprey circling over the dozens of people out fishin. Between Lake Wenatchee and the Sleeping Lady, I picked up a lot of common West side birds that are harder to find over the crest: Chestnut-backed Chickadee, Band-tailed Pigeon and Pacific-slope Flycatcher. I also had a Red-eyed Vireo at Tumwater Campground, and White-headed Woodpecker (finally!) at Sleeping Lady.

At the Cashmere STP, I... Well there was a Phalarope and I got a picture and it flew a bit farther away, so I just decided Wilson's and figured I'd just confirm when I got home and blew up the picture on a laptop. Didn't realize Red-necked is still mucking around on the East side, and this little dude was pretty lightly colored, so it will be interesting to see.

Colockum Road had Lark Sparrows and some other birds to help bump me over 100. (Like Magpie... Meadowlark...Red-tailed Hawk), and now I'm sitting at a pub in Wenatchee recovering, and trying to decide what the plan is for tonight/tomorrow.

Phew

Tim Brennan
Renton