[Tweeters] Chelan day two

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Sun May 29 17:37:20 PDT 2016

Hey all!

I wrapped up my Chelan trip today with some more good birds. Yesterday finished with 103 species - I added California Gull, and confirmed that my phalarope at the Cashmere STP was a Wilson's.

Today began on Burch Mountain, where I had Gray Flycatcher, Brewer's Sparrow, Horned Lark, and Common Poorwill. A miss there was Savannah Sparrow, which could prove to give me trouble this year! I also had Lark Sparrows as the sun rose and I descended.

No Two Canyon was extremely birdy, especially with Bullock's Orioles, Warbling Vireos and Western Wood Pewees. Where the road got rough, I got out and walked, and found a Bewick's Wren, an unusual character for Chelan.

Mountain Home Ridge Road was beautiful, and also very birdy, with the highlight being Fox Sparrows in a flowery meadow near the top.

I tried in vain to add some more birds up around Stevens Pass, where Orange-crowned Warbler, Sooty Grouse, Northern Pygmy-Owl, Willow Flycatcher, Black or Vaux's Swift would have been new for the year. Varied Thrush and Pacific Wren were at least new for the weekend, which was pretty productive! The year list sits at 165 for me in Chelan. 200 was the goal, and might be doable, but some birds in Chelan are a bit of a puzzle! :).

The blog shall be updated sometime... Maybe in June... Or today... We shall see.

Happy Birding!

Tim Brennan
Renton
Www.chelancountybirding.blogspot.com