[Tweeters] Why the apparent error in identifying the drone-attacking Eagles?

Ed Newbold ednewbold1 at yahoo.com
Sun May 29 22:04:36 PDT 2016

Hi all,
This came up before, and I'm all for Eagles getting the kudos and anything that takes out drones and thanks Caryn for posting this.
My question is why there appears to my eye to be a persistent repeated error, reported in many different news outlets over many months now, regarding the ID of these birds--including the Seattle Times yesterday.
They consistently look like White-tailed Eagles to me, although I make no claims to expertise at all and am neither knowledgeable nor credentialed enough to make a categorical statement that the news articles are all wrong.
Some expert or experts within electron distance should do a press release and get retractions from all these organizations:  it's a chance to get publicity for critters and the people who give a darn about them.   It's a chance to give the White-tailed Eagle its due.   I think this is becoming a news article in itself:  Drone-hunting Eagles have been misidentified!
But why would the operators let this error continue?  Do they want to be associated with the charisma attached to Bald Eagles?
Best wishes,
Ed Newbold

(migration still sputtering along with Warbling Vireo, Wilson's Warbler and Black-headed Grosbeak on Beacon Hill today)