[Tweeters] Great Day, May 29

Jason Vassallo jason.vassallo at outlook.com
Mon May 30 12:50:05 PDT 2016

I had an awesome day on Sunday, starting at Calispell Lake in Pend Oreille county and finishing back home in Seattle. I stopped and birded around Othello, Vantage, and Cle Elum on the way back. It was a breezy day in most places, but especially around Vantage where it was extremely windy and made birding not so easy.

Highlights:

There were a bunch of birds at Calispell Lake including a Northern Waterthrush, a bunch of American Redstarts, and some Bobolinks. I also saw a Lark Sparrow which I did not realize seems to be pretty unusual in Pend Oreille county. Also fun there was a Black Bear that walked across the road and a Moose out in a field.

A few White-throated Swifts flew by the highway as I was leaving Spokane

2 Black Terns also flew right by the highway as I passed Ames Lake

A big group of Red-necked Phalaropes and one Wilsons Phalarope at the Sprague WTP

A Clarks Grebe at Lind Coulee

A bunch of Tricolored Blackbirds at Para Ponds, all up by the building on top of the hill. Also fun were some nice views of Black-necked Stilts, American Avocets, and a Wilsons Phalarope.

It was quite difficult to bird Quilomene Wildlife Area along Old Vantage Highway due to extreme winds, but I was still able to get Sage Thrasher, Vesper Sparrow, Brewers Sparrow, Loggerhead Shrike, and Sagebrush Sparrow!

The Railroad Ponds in Cle Elum had Nashville Warblers, Veerys, and a singing Yellow-breasted Chat for highlights.

And finally a Hammonds Flycatcher near Parsons Garden on Queen Anne. This was a highlight for me because it was my first Queen Anne sighting for this species.

For the day 1 state lifer (Waterthrush), 19 year birds, and 126 species total.

Jason Vassallo

Jason.vassallo at outlook.com

Seattle​