[Tweeters] Memorial Day weekend birding and a heads up about dogs

Izzy Wong gobirder at gmail.com
Tue May 31 14:52:17 PDT 2016

Hi all,

We didn’t attend the Wenas event, but did bird there and in surrounding areas. Too many highlights to mention here, but will share that we had seven woodpeckers in all, which was about as good as it gets out there.

While Kendrick was digiscoping a Great Horned Owl on Umtanum Rd., I happened to turn and see a Black-chinned Hummingbird on a telephone wire. It sat for several minutes, giving great looks. I’ve never seen a Black-chinned in that particular area, so it was a nice surprise.

Lots of nests everywhere, including Western-wood Pewee, Great Horned Owl, Bald Eagle (with two young ones), House Wren, Western and Mountain Bluebirds, Mountain Chickadee, Pygmy Nuthatch, European Starling, and Lewis’ Woodpecker, to name a few.

The sage species (Brewer’s and Vesper Sparrows, and Sage Thrasher) were quite vocal, as were the Yellow-breasted Chats and Lazuli Buntings.

Got some audible evidence, as well as great views of Gray Catbirds at the Cle Elum ponds.

Ended with about 105 species.

On another note, and I add this because there is an association with the birding community, we noticed two disturbing cases of dogs being left in cars at the Umtanum Creek trail parking lot. It was sunny and ~70 degrees F, which means much hotter in the car. I couldn’t call 911 due to lack of cell service. It turns out that in both situations, the dog owners are birders. I’m going on the assumption that the owners are ignorant of the facts about how hot cars can get, even with windows cracked. In 70 degrees, with the windows slightly open, a car can get up to 120 degrees in 20 minutes. The dogs we saw were already showing signs of distress. Luckily, the owners returned before it turned tragic.

Had a great 3 days of great birding, great weather, and encountered some great birders.

Enjoy the birds,
izzy wong
seattle, wa
gobirder at gmail.com