[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 11/2/16

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 15:10:19 PDT 2016

Tweets,

Today 10 of us endured a wet start on what turned out to be a great day at
Nisqually. It rained hard at 8:00 but let up later and mostly cleared. We
had a 6.5 low tide at 2:13 so there was still some water in the reclamation
area when we got there. For some reason there was lots of water in the
ponds on the refuge.

Highlights were mostly white today. We had GREAT EGRET, TUNDRA SWANS, and
SNOW GEESE. Other good stuff included RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER and HUTTON'S
VIREO.

We had the RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER in the orchard as well as a DOWNY
WOODPECKER and FLICKER. We also saw a WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW among the
GOLDEN-CROWNS at the start of the boardwalk. The HUTTON'S VIREO was in this
area also.

While watching the sparrows we had a GREAT EGRET fly through the area
toward the twin barns. As we headed for the boardwalk I spotted 2 SWANS
flying north and we all rushed back to the trail to catch a glimpse as they
fly by. Except the SWANS landed on the pond and afforded us great looks,

After scoping them we realized they were TUNDRA SWANS and as we watched the
GREAT EGRET fly in and landed just behind them. The SWANS stayed in the
area for some time and were still there when we left the twin barns viewing
platform over an hour later.

Walking out to the start of the estuary boardwalk we spotted 7 SNOW GEESE,
4 adults and 3 juveniles feeding along Shannon Slough. Again, they remained
in the area and were still there when I left the refuge.

Out near the estuary boardwalk there was a commotion of gulls that I
decided to scope for the cause of the action. I never did figure out why
but I saw several GREAT BLUE HERON and 2 GREAT EGRETS working the shallows
with the gulls. Must have been some small fished caught by the falling tide
that had everyone's attention.

For the day I had 48 species with the TUNDRA SWANS and SNOW GEESE being new
for the year. I now have 145 species for the year. The only mammal I saw
were a couple of BLACK-TAILED DEER.

Until next week....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com