[Tweeters] Acorn Woodpecker in Cowlitz Co.

Russ Koppendrayer russkope at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 13:38:24 PST 2016

Hi Tweeters,

An ACORN WOODPECKER has been gracing a Goble Creek area feeder since
11/4/16. Homeowners Larry and Joanne Turner tell me that it appears briefly
1 or 2 times about mid-morning and is then not seen the rest of the day. At
9:40 AM today (11/8/16) it was on the sunflower seed feeder as I entered
the driveway and stayed around for a few minutes after I got out of my car
before flying off. It also had been there for a few minutes sometime before
my arrival.

In a conversation with Joanne she indicated they would be welcoming of
birders wishing to see the woodpecker. The address is 124 Jensen Road, in
the Rose Valley area southeast of Kelso. Jensen Rd is about 0.4 miles up
Zillig Rd from Goble Creek Loop Rd. Google map sent me to the wrong place
for the start of Jensen Rd which is a small private road. 124 Jensen is
the 2nd house on the right with a sharp right into the driveway with room
at the end of the drive for a few cars. The sunflower feeders it visits can
be seen on your left along the house as you go down the drive.
As indicated earlier morning seems to be the most likely time to see the
Acorn Woodpecker.

Russ Koppendrayer
Longview, WA