[Tweeters] Friends of Malheur Is Asking For Our Assistance/How the Bundy Trial Reached Out To Pull Some of Us Into It

Steve Krival stevekrival at live.com
Sun Nov 13 00:49:00 PST 2016

I know most of you followed and were dismayed by the illegal occupation of Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, and if you are like me were not pleased with the results of the recent trial of the leaders of that takeover. Today's Friends of Malheur National Wildlife Refuge Newsletter contains a request for help from the President of the Friends group, Gary Ivey. The article explains what the request is and why he is making it. It is posted at this internet address:

http://files.constantcontact.com/3f9268fe201/59eddea9-c3f5-4d67-8d8b-c0835e53ae78.pdf

In a second article in the Newsletter, we who are members of the Friends group, and others who have donated but are not members, are told that Ryan Bundy, a principle defendant in the case, attempted to subpoena our names. The article presents that the rationale for this was that, "Bundy told the court he wanted to find out if anyone involved in his federal conspiracy trial, stemming from the 41-day takeover of the federal bird sanctuary, were members of the nonprofit or donated money to support the group." The friends group hired an attorney who was able to quash the subpoena. Given the nature of the takeover group I feel relieved that that was the case, not just for myself, but for many of you as well, as it is not implausible to imagine anyone of us could have become a target for malicious activity. The second article is posted at this address:

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/10/friends_of_malheur_national_wi.html

It would seem that unbeknownst to us (or me at least) the events at Malheur came even closer to some of our lives than we might have imagined possible.