[Tweeters] Red Phalaropes in South Sound

T Varela tvarela at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 14 13:07:57 PST 2016

I also observed a group of five Red Phalaropes near Oakville feeding in a seasonal freshwater pond near the Chehalis River on Saturday. First time I’ve ever seen these at that location.

https://flic.kr/p/AGZfNQ

“It appears that yesterday's storms brought Red Phalaropes into South Sound. I noted one yesterday in Eld Inlet near Cooper Point. Today there have been at least 6 in the same area. A Sea Otter was also at this location today. Quite unusual and only my third sighting of that species in this area in 20 years. Both Cailfornia an Steller's Sea Lions are also in this area chasing salmon around. Who know what else is around...
Cheers and good birding, ..”

Bill Shelmerdine
Olympia

Tony Varela