[Tweeters] Blewett Black-back Quest (0 for 2)

Jon Houghton jon.houghton at hartcrowser.com
Tue Nov 15 21:34:24 PST 2016

Hi Tweets - well, I decided that, with lowering snow levels and increasing precip, time was running out for another look for Black-backed Woodpeckers up near Haney Meadow off of Blewett (Swauk) Pass. We left Edmonds this morning in some light rain that stayed with us off and on to near Stevens Pass, where it was mostly snow. Then, down the other side, harder rain lasted down into Tumwater Canyon. We broke out into patchy sunshine in time for ridiculous pastries in Leavenworth, before heading up to the pass. At the turnout onto FS 9716, the temp was about 35 in patchy rain. As we ascended up to the junction with FS 6712, temp dropped to about 32 and the sun was mostly out. The road had a bit of crusty snow on it but was safely negotiated with the AWD Outback. Along the way, we stopped repeatedly to look, listen and call for WPs, but, nothing. We continued on beyond Haney Meadow, walking long stretches of well burned habitat, but, we found no birds other than Clark's Nutcrackers, Gray Jays, and, of course, Common Ravens. Temp dropped to 30 and the road began to ice over so we gave it up about 4pm. Oh, well - we tried. The lesson here is probably: "Don't leave your BBWOs till November!!" - Jon Houghton, Edmonds (Stuck at 940 spp., global, for the year.)