[Tweeters] More on Neah Bay today 11/21/16

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 21 19:43:02 PST 2016

Hi all -
As reported, it was yet another good day out at Neah Bay - 7 or 8 of us were out there, and there was plenty of good birding to go around.

The Dusky-capped Flycatcher was very cooperative - popped right up when I arrived at 8:00 and gave everyone great views throughout the day. Location: Right at the base of the jetty, where the road turns right, look at the bushes to the left. It moved around flycatching from the edge of the beach to up in some of the trees up the hill. Seemed best to just wait at the base of the jetty for it to come back if not present immediately.

Tufted Duck - 2 birds at the STP - first, Blair found a male , then it flushed. Charlie Wright and I arrived a little later and decided it might still be worth looking in the STP — lo and behold, a different Tufted Duck - a female - was present.

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - one continued near 1st & Lincoln/Blue Jay - One also seen by others at Ba’adah Village Loop Rd.

Palm Warbler - I saw one of the two reported near the mini-mart.

Tropical Kingbird - at least one in town, one over at Ba’adah Village Loop.

Northern Fulmar - a couple out from the greenhouse viewpoint on Ba’adah Heights.

Red Phalarope - many at the jetty, more from the greenhouse, more in the Wa’atch Valley

A late Osprey was a fun one for me - finally have that species in all 39 counties.

Another star of the day: Osprey! Got it in Wa’atch Valley for a 39er bird.

Also in the Wa’atch Valley - Trumpeter Swans, Snow Geese, a Peregrine Falcon, a Northern Shrike.

No luck on the Blue Grosbeak or the Northern Mockingbird —

Not too shabby for a late-November day of birding!

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA