[Tweeters] Red-shouldered Hawk in Skamania Co 11/26/16

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 27 17:04:56 PST 2016

Hi Tweeters -
Yesterday (Saturday, 11/26), I spent a good part of the day in Skamania County - Overall it was pretty quiet, but a couple nice birds:

Before dawn, I heard but never saw several [~4] N. Saw-whet Owls along Wilbur Rd., off Cook-Underwood Rd., near the power-line cut and also near Young Rd. Also at the Wilbur x Young Rd. corner, a N.Pygmy-Owl giving its winnowing call, trying to convince me it was a Western Screech-Owl.

At Rock Creek Park in Stevenson, an adult Red-shouldered Hawk passed overhead and landed in the trees by the parking lot.
In the water, a Eurasian Wigeon was mixed in with the many American Wigeon. In addition, a Redhead was mixed in w/ the many other ducks there.

Great Egrets were at Skamania Landing and Franz Lake - and several Trumpeter Swans were mixed in with the many Tundras at Franz Lake.

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA