[Tweeters] A Crime of Cartography

Wayne Weber contopus at telus.net
Mon Nov 28 00:51:33 PST 2016

Jeff (and Tweeters),

Thanks for your comments about the Fraser River and about its huge
contribution of water and sediment to the Salish Sea. I'm glad to see that
you understand its importance, and were miffed at the cavalier treatment of
its watershed on the map at the Marine Science Center. As a lifelong British
Columbian who lives less than 10 miles from the Fraser, I am reminded every
day of the importance of this great river in terms of providing fresh water
to the sea, a transportation corridor to people, and a home for salmon and
for wildlife.

However, you may have underestimated the size of the Fraser's watershed. If
you use the figures provided by Wikipedia, the Fraser watershed covers
84,942 square miles, versus 71,362 for the state of Washington- a
difference of 13, 580 square miles. However, the area of Washington was
quoted for many years as 68, 192 square miles. I don't know how it suddenly
grew to 71,362; perhaps someone decided to include the marine waters of
Puget Sound, Hood Canal, and Juan de Fuca Strait, which doesn't seem quite
cricket. In addition, I have seen figures elsewhere for the Fraser
watershed's area as 90,000 to 91,000 square miles. I don't think the
Wikipedia figure is accurate. If the upper figure of 91,000 is correct, and
the land (plus freshwater) area of Washington is really 68,192, then the
difference is actually 22,808 square miles.

I am surprised to find such discrepancies in area measurements. Surely the
truth should be easy to determine with modern equipment. Perhaps someone who
is a geography expert can set us straight on where these measurements came
from.

It's also worth noting that British Columbia includes a large chunk of the
Columbia watershed (about 13%-- 33,710 square miles out of the total
watershed area of 258,000), and provides a much greater percentage than 13%
of the water. A sizable piece of the upper Skagit watershed is also in BC.
In fact, a good percentage of the water used for irrigation, drinking and
power generation in Washington and Oregon actually originates in B.C.

Just trying to give some credit here where credit is due!

Good luck and good birding,

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

contopus at telus.net