[Tweeters] Off topic: Australian Birds, Part II

Byers byers345 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 29 08:40:40 PST 2016

Hello Tweeters,

We returned from our month-long Australian birding trip
almost a month ago and it's taken us this long to get the pictures that were
reasonably good prepared to share on Flickr. I put up a link to part one of
the trip a few days back. Part II of the trip, shared here, was all in
Northern Territory (Darwin and surrounding areas) and Queensland (Cairns,
Atherton plateau, the Georgetown area west of the Great Dividing Range, and
Lamington National Park near Brisbane. Northern Territory and Queensland
combined is a huge area, so we did no more that scratch the surface on our
trip of about 12 days.

I am providing two links to Flickr files here, one to the
birds:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29258421@N07/albums/72157677201174355

and one for about 20 other animals that we saw during our whole
trip-kangaroos, koalas, etc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29258421@N07/albums/72157673261503333

As with the Australian birds in part I, many of the birds
are endemics, found nowhere else but Australia. Among the birds pictured
are Australian Bustard, many parrots and lorikeets, Plumed Whistling-Ducks,
Albert's Lyrebird, several Asian shorebirds like Far Eastern Curlew, and
several bowerbirds, including their bower. Among these is the Regent
Bowerbird (on page 2 of the set), which I think is my favorite Australian
bird. Some of the pictures are mine, but most are my husband Bill's.

Thank you to the many people who have written to express
their interest and appreciation for the Australia, Part I birds that I
posted earlier. This will be it for a while until our next trip!

Charlotte Byers, Seattle