[Tweeters] Fw: eBird Report - Lake Sammamish State Park, Nov 29, 2016

Sharon Cormier-Aagaard scormieraa001 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 30 10:35:14 PST 2016

Hi Tweets,

Here's my monthly eBird eport of the birds seen and heard at Lake Sammamish State Park.

Lake Sammamish State Park, King, Washington, US
Nov 29, 2016 8:00 AM - 12:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.9 mile(s)
Comments: Sharon and Stan were joined by 21 other birders on November 29 at Eastside Audubon's monthly bird walk at Lake Sammamish State Park. Cloudy, no rain! 43-48F, 1-2 mph. We had several mixed flocks, and enjoyed several hours of dry, perfect birding. 20 Swans and a Western Meadowlark were the birds of the day! 46 spcs, 141 for the year. HIGHLIGHTS:

GEESE: several Cackling (360) and Canada flocks
SWANS: 20 Trumpeters flew high over head, trumpeting
DUCKS: American Wigeon, Mallard, Northern Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, Bufflehead
MERGANSERS -Common, no Hooded today
GREBES: 5 Pied-billed, 8 Horned and 16 Western
BALD EAGLE nest building -- A larger female and smaller male were perched near a nest in the crotch of a cottonwood, about 40 feet from the ground. The male was bringing sticks to the nest, and the female was poking them in. This is the first time Stan and I have seen a Bald Eagle nest inside the park boundaries!
GULLS: California, Mew, Ring-billed and Glaucous-winged
KILLDEER - about 25 in the south sports field
WOODPECKERS - Downey, Northern Flicker
WESTERN MEADOWLARK - 1 feeding in the green grassy lawn near the bathhouse at Sunset Beach.

Critters: Eastern Gray Squirrels

The next bird walk is Tuesday, DECEMBER 27, 8 am to NOON (hours for SEPTEMBER through MARCH). No pre-registration, just show up rain or shine. Since this is a state park, a Discover Pass is necessary to park ($10 daily, $30 annual). We meet just inside the main park entrance (NOT the boat launch entrance off of Eastlake Sammamish Parkway), in the large parking lot on the left, and park in the middle of the first and second rows.
Submitted from eBird Android 1.3
46 species (+4 other taxa)

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S32794350

[http://ebird.org/content/ebird/wp-content/uploads/sites/55/black-cowled-oriole-ian-davies-31703371.jpg]<http://ebird.org/>

eBird<http://ebird.org/>
ebird.org
Please join us in congratulating Sheila Hale of Spruce Grove, Alberta, winner of the October 2016 eBird Challenge, sponsored by Carl Zeiss Sports Optics.