[Tweeters] O.T. Mammal Big Year Help

mcallisters4 at comcast.net mcallisters4 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 15 11:31:51 PDT 2016

I wasn’t aware that Common Dolphins were abundant enough in Puget Sound to even qualify as a long shot. Harbor Porpoise are once again fairly easy to find in south Puget Sound. Chamber’s Bay is one place you might see them.

Western spotted skunks seem to have become exceedingly rare in the Puget Sound lowlands. They are reported quite common in the Olympics but I doubt that makes them easy to see.

Nutria were once easy to spot along the shore of the north basin of Capitol Lake in Olympia but I haven’t seen on there is a couple of years but I don’t spend much time there either.

Keen’s Deer mice are pretty common around Snoqualmie Pass. Red-backed voles fairly numerous around there as well.

Western Gray Squirrels are not at Scatter Creek. That one’s going to be tough unless you want to spend quite a bit of time in Klickitat County.

I’m very surprised to hear about a Western Pocket Gopher at Nisqually. The habitat isn’t right. You can see plenty of mounds along Old 99 at the Olympia airport. Seeing the animal itself is not likely without certain illegal activities.

Mammals are challenging. I understand why more people work on bird lists.

Kelly McAllister

Sent from Mail for Windows 10