[Tweeters] RE: [Wos-l] Current WOS Newsletter online!

Tom Mansfield birds at t-mansfield.com
Sun Oct 2 06:05:47 PDT 2016

Hey Jim – Congrats to you, the new Washington Ornithological Society (“WOS”) board members, and of course, Penny – the organization’s lifesaving glue.

Alas, I read through this WOS News edition twice to make certain I hadn’t missed it – but there is ZERO mention of the Patrick Sullivan Young Birder’s Fund (“PSYBF”).

Did we go out of business and no one mentioned it? Did we succeed from the organization or get booted out? In WOS News 163 the PSYBF didn’t even get a nod in the “official” listing of board committees. Has Jon Isacoff quit as PSYBF chair? If so, he hasn’t communicated that to the PSYBF trustees but I suppose anything is possible. I know the PSYBF profile in the birding community has become pretty stealth the last 2 years and member contributions have about dried up but there was a grant awarded at the annual WOS Conference in June to a terrific and deserving young birder, Louis Kreemer of Seattle.

While I’m certain just an oversight, this lack of acknowledgement by WOS is disappointing to those of us who have supported the PSYBF and the idea of encouraging young birders by offering real life birding experiences.

With respect, Tom Mansfield in Seattle.