[Tweeters] Yakima Sportsman State Park/Eastern Washington - 2 October 2016

Raymond P. rayshome1 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 3 14:43:05 PDT 2016

Hello everyone -

Yesterday I made a trip to the Yakima Sportsman State Park. I was there at sunrise until about noon and took a number of photographs of Wood Duck drakes and hens. I would estimate about 10 drakes during my visit and a small number of hens. There were also a few Mallards in the water during that time. Finally, I observed either a Cooper's Hawk or Sharp-shinned Hawk - it was too far to make it out.

After leaving Yakima, I drove around the south Ellensburg area with no particular goal or route in mind. I was interested in seeing what birds of prey I'd be able to photograph as I drove through the surface streets.

I observed the following:

American Kestrel = 4
Swainson's Hawk = 3
Northern Harrier = 3 (includes one male)
Red-tailed Hawk = too many to count

I've created a trip report and posted it on my blog here, including select pictures.

https://raymondparsons.wordpress.com/

Until next time...

-Raymond