[Tweeters] Parasitic Jaeger - Rimrock Lake, Yakima County

Kevin Lucas vikingcove at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 22:10:25 PDT 2016

Today on a bird watching trip led by Karen & Joe Zook we found a Parasitic
Jaeger at Rimrock Lake, the second Yakima County record. It was at the west
end of the lake, where most of the gulls (California, Ring-billed, a
continuing Glaucous-winged, and an Olympic) were gathered, near the
Heritage Marker at about milepost 160.7 on state highway 12.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/38618+US-12,+Naches,+WA+98937/@46.642811,-121.2048774,607m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x54973f3ddb826ddb:0x2eaa66c242817bc5!8m2!3d46.6433165!4d-121.2135255
The jaeger flew east and we relocated it viewing east from Horseshoe Cove.
Everyone in the group got good views without disturbing it. Several of us
got photos, and I digiscoped a video of it preening.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/58148027@N07/30109362916/in/datetaken/
Karen posted some good documentation photos with her eBird checklist.
In 2013 when Mary & I found the Parasitic Jaeger at the same location on
September 28th, the weather was quite cruddy. When I was trying to decide
whether to go on today's trip, with rain showers forecast, Mary encouraged
me by saying, "It's Parasitic Jaeger weather."

Good birding,
Kevin Lucas
Selah, WA

https://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html