[Tweeters] "Good" sparrow at Boeing ponds

Jim merlinmania at comcast.net
Wed Oct 5 22:17:58 PDT 2016

Hi Tweets,

I made a quick stop at Boeing ponds in Kent, just before six tonight. I walked in from the SW corner parking area and about 50-75 yards down the path I saw two sparrows feeding. The first wad a white-crowned and the second a mystery bird. The problem was primarily my unfamiliarity with the winter plumage of spizellas. I had a good binocular (no scope) view and know it was either a Chipping, Brewer's or Clay-colored.

I'm hoping someone more familiar with their winter dress (or someone with a camera) can go look tomorrow. I am not home this week so I have no field guides and surfing the web on my phone is just too cumbersome a task.

I did note the bird had a pretty well-defined median Crown stripe, which my memory said was perhaps important(?) but I didn't see the rump color which I know can be important.

Good luck if you go look and be sure to let us Tweeterites know what you find.

Jim Flynn
Seattle, WA

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G Android device