[Tweeters] Ahtanum long weekend

Randy Hill re_hill at q.com
Wed Oct 5 22:57:30 PDT 2016

I think Thursday evening to Tuesday morning qualifies as a rather long
weekend up the North Fork Ahtanum Creek west of Yakima. Just a few notes of
interest:

Thursday afternoon all 7 resident corvids with several scrub jays heading to
and past Tampico on Ahtanum Road, and Clark's Nutcrackers in abundance.

Friday was a raptor flight day with multiple Sharp-shinned Hawks and Merlins
(one stooped but pulled up a few feet short of my head when I pished up
juncos) and a Northern Goshawk upslope.

All three regular grouse with only one Spruce Grouse seen at 6pm Sunday
evening.

Just one N Three-toed Woodpecker and no Black-backed Woodpeckers or any
sapsuckers.

One siskin was the only finch that I found in five days.

Great Horned owl and N Pygmy-Owl calling daily.

Randy Hill

Ridgefield