[Tweeters] Sabine's Gull and Lapland Longspur at Cedar River Mouth

Lonnie Somer mombiwheeler at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 11:22:05 PDT 2016

Hi Tweetrers,

I just returned from the Cedar River Mouth Park. Several of us were
treated to great looks at the Sabine's Gull that has been hanging out at
the mouth of the Cedar River with a mixed flock of gulls. Beautiful little
gull; it's the first time that I've seen this species without being on a
rocking pelagic boat praying for death to stop the feeling of seasickness.
It was getting seriously harassed by crows, which were ignoring all of the
other species of gulls. While there, a fellow birder named Mark mentioned
to me that a Lapland Longspur was being seen near the bathrooms just a few
hundred yards to the south. I followed his car the short distance and
there were 3 other birders already watching it. It was on the grass right
in the open and very unconcerned about us watching it from a couple of
dozen feet away. I'll post a digiscoped photo of it on eBird in a couple
of hours. As noted by other birders, the species of gulls included both
Thayer's and Herring.

Good birding,

Lonnie Somer
Seattle