[Tweeters] White-collared junco

Kevin Lucas vikingcove at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 18:10:18 PDT 2016

Similarly here. Yesterday a Slate-colored Dark-eyed Junco returned to our
yard. Last winter it had an injured left leg and tail feathers. It regrew
the tail feathers over the winter, and got progressively better at hopping
with only one good leg, well, better at landing its hops specifically --
lots of flubs at first). It now doesn't use its left leg at all and hops
around quite well. I'd posted a photo last winter, and posted another
yesterday, the first day I'd noticed it had returned. Last winter there
were 4 or 5 Slate-colored Dark-eyed Juncos here at once, along with one or
two Cassiar juncos. They interacted with each other noticeably more than
with the the other juncos, and this individual seemed more often the object
of aggression, though it was usually the last one remaining when something
scared off feeding sparrows, and the first to return.

Winter site fidelity in juncos wasn't something I'd previously considered,
but as thoroughly studied as they are, I suspect it's well documented. A
quick skimming of the Birds of North America Online species account
mentions some winter site faithful males. I wonder if we'll again have
several Slate-colored juncos visiting here this winter.

Yesterday:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/58148027@N07/30191982485/in/datetaken/
January 8th:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/58148027@N07/24075925691/in/datetaken/