[Tweeters] Juanita Bay today - Sora - yes!! Snipes!!! / Caryn / Wedgwood

Caryn Schutzler bluedarner1 at seanet.com
Mon Oct 10 18:19:13 PDT 2016

Hi Tweeters!

A gorgeous day at Juanita Bay Park today. Went specifically to find the Sora. Met Terry Dunning with his camera who said he'd seen the Sora (and had a nice shot of it) about 20 minutes prior to our arrival. Another lady, Christine was there waiting to see it too. Sorry Christine, just after you left, it came into view, in the cattails, but got a full view of the bright yellow bill and its body. It had also made quite a racket a bit earlier on the other side of the boardwalk. I also tried my best to call the Virginia Rail. Terry said "There it is" when I did my imitation!

Many Wood Ducks in all their glorious plumage! The sun came out and highlighted their iridescence.

A Great Blue Heron flew in. And we had a show by a Kingfisher, acting like a skipping rock.

The highlight of the day was going over to the main walk by the road where we found 4 Snipe! My husband Gene is such a good spotter. They were at the far end of the walk. There are two beach balls and we found a group of 4 and then another two further beyond. They were in the lily pads eating, preening, snoozing. There were ducks right next to them and they were not the least bit bothered. They are just fascinating to look at!

We also saw a Peregrine fly over - think I did see the Snipe looking up. Gene saw a bald eagle but I was zeroed in on the snipe in the scope. It's so great to see them here and not have to go to Malheur or Toppenish.

At home, about 4pm, I saw the Hermit Thrush. And the Golden Crown sparrow are enjoying the feeder.

A great bird day! Thanks Rocky for sharing your sitings!

Caryn