[Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Eagles Pride Golf Course
monthly bird walk - 10-20-2016
avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Fri Oct 21 20:58:05 PDT 2016
Wet, soggy, dripping - I don't know if we on this side of the mountains have enough descriptors for rain, but I might be looking for more. Sheesh. It was raining lightly at the start, and increased to a persistent, heavy rain within the first half-hour. Temp about 58degF. Four of us persevered, but we were all very soggy, despite having rain gear on, by the time we finished. (Kudos to Leah and Henry for showing up and slogging it out with the two of us that lead the trip.)
The highlights, besides the 19 confirmed species, were the following:
1. 104 American Robins, including 85 on the fairway near the driving range. We had remarked earlier that we hadn't seen many robins, but as we ended the walk, we spotted the very large group near the driving range/3rd tee box and fairway.
2. Two separate flocks of Bushtits, one beside the 4th fairway and one on the road behind Hodge Lake. We're lucky to have one flock every couple of months.
3. A Common Raven -- not a usual suspect, but has been seen more often this year.
4. Nine Ring-necked Ducks on Hodge Lake and one on the maintenance pond.
5. Two Red-winged Blackbirds, one of which was singing, at the maintenance pond.
6. Three White-crowned Sparrows in the blackberry patch near the driving range.
Not posted: We had what could have been a HERMIT THRUSH in the path through the wooded area between the 15th tee and 16th fairway. None of us got a definitive view, but the flight pattern through the shrub zone, size, and coloration fit this species rather than American Robin. (And definitely it wasn't a Spotted Towhee.) Given that the first sighting of this species on an Eagles Pride bird-walk was last month, not too far away in the wooded area near the 12th hole, this warrants keeping an eye out in the coming months.
The JBLM Eagles Pride GC birders meet the third Thursday of each month at 8:00AM. Starting point is Bldg # 1514, Driving Range Tee, Eagles Pride Golf Course, I-5 Exit 116, Mounts Road Exit. Upcoming walks include the following:
* November 17
* December 15
* January 19 (2017!)
Anyone is welcome to join us!
Species list for this month:
Mallard 3 One at the maintenance pond and two at Hodge Lake.
Ring-necked Duck 10 Nine at Hodge Lake and one at the maintenance pond.
Hooded Merganser 1 Alighted on maintenance pond near Ring-necked Duck.
Northern Flicker 2
Steller's Jay 4
Common Raven 1
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 2
Bushtit 25 Two separate flocks: one along 4th fairway and the other near road behind Hodge Lake.
Pacific Wren 8
Golden-crowned Kinglet 4
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
American Robin 104
Fox Sparrow 1
Dark-eyed Junco 34
White-crowned Sparrow 3
Golden-crowned Sparrow 6
Song Sparrow 4
Red-winged Blackbird 2
House Finch 2
May all your birds be identified,
avnacrs 4 birds at outlook dot com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Tweeters