[Tweeters] Ruby-crowned Kinglet males fighting?

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Sat Oct 22 14:15:00 PDT 2016

12:30 p.m. Sat. 10/22/16

Heard a jumble of bird sounds, including a couple rounds of song with warbles at the end, coming from 2 male Ruby-crowned Kinglets engaged in what seemed to be competitive fighting. I didn't see a female, which doesn't mean there weren't any in this patch of woods. Reminded me of what Anna's Hummingbirds do. The two flutter toward and up into each other, crowns raised to show seriousness. They would then separate, flutter around with fast-flapping wings, calling out in kingletese, and then head for each other again, and bonk chests. Anyone else seeing this kind of behavior now ? Autumnal recrudescence of the amatory urge? If any videographers would like to come by to try to capture this exciting stuff or stand or sit out in my semi-open woods (double lot) and find more great stuff, do get in touch with me and I can lead you to it, even offer you a chair or space in one of the small glades A Downy Woodpecker and 2 wren species were out there this morning, too. I've heard (including yesterday), Varied Thrush, seen Hermit Thrush, and Pileated Woodpeckers occasionally in to test the tree trunks for chipability. Berry-eating birds of several sorts, Anna's Hummingbirds, the occasional sapsucker, Steller's Jays, bushtits, 2 kinds of chickadees and I've likely missed many more (Red-breasted Nuthatch, Brown Creeper, a quiet Merlin, stalking accipiters, to name a few I've seen in the past).

Now, back to the SUNNY afternoon!

Barb Deihl
barbdeihl at comcast.