[Tweeters] Short-Eared Owl or Northern Harrier/Edie Rd/Stanwood

Sammy Catiis Hikersammy at msn.com
Sun Oct 23 23:29:41 PDT 2016

The Owls and the Harriers like most predators, are opportunistic. They are going to feed when their food is most abundant even if it's just outside their normal hours. Harriers are not built for night flying or hunting, so it's unlikely they hunt too long after dusk.. however dusk remember in Washington is during short days so the need for longer hunting hours might drive some of this. As far as the Owls, their food in some places are more abundant during the daytime.. and often has a tidal influence. Where I used to watch and give tours on Fir Island, would be last high tide of the day.. regardless of that time.. as the water came in, the prey would have to come up from the logs and grass being an easy catch for the swift hunting owls.

In short, Short-eared owls are known to be diurnal during the high activity of their favorite food the voles.

Sammy
Arlington