[Tweeters] More on the Neah Bay field sparrow

Scott Downes downess at charter.net
Mon Oct 31 06:40:08 PDT 2016

Tweeters,
Thanks to Tom for providing some details on the Field Sparrow found on Saturday by our group. I didn't have coverage in Neah Bay. We were walking back to the park from checking out the area where the kingbirds have been hanging around when we saw a odd small sparrow hopping on the logs. As soon as it popped up it became obvious it was a Field Sparrow.
Once we confirmed the ID we tried to round up those we had contacts for, then the rain hit! Photos were taken in the downpour and a couple with coverage sent them out to others outside of Neah Bay.
Ironically, not more than 30 minutes earlier I had remarked to Sierra that you should check out every bird as amazing birds show up every day/week out here during late fall. This just adds to the amazing list of records documented in Neah Bay.
We had to leave a little after lunch yesterday, but I don't believe the Field Sparrow was seen yesterday. Other good birds did continue yesterday including the Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Orchard Oriole, Harris's Sparrow, Tropical Kingbirds, Palm Warblers and amazing numbers of Northern Fulmars off the jetty and at Cape Flattery.

Scott Downes
Downess at charter.net
Yakima Wa