[Tweeters] Pierce County Shorebirds

Christopher Clark cjbirdmanclark at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 15:03:20 PDT 2016

Today I went and did a small loop looking for shorebirds around the Tacoma
area. Started at Levee Pond where 3 Greater Yellowlegs and 1 Lesser were
actively looking for food. A handful of Least and Western Sandpipers and a
single Long-billed Dowitcher were also present. A lone Green-winged Teal
and Northern Shoveler were also around.

Next I went to Point Defiance Park in hopes of seeing some phalaropes from
one of the lookouts. No success there but at the first overlook on the 5
mile drive there was a good sized passerine flock that included several
Red-breasted Nuthatches, some creepers, a couple Wilson's Warblers, and a
number of Black-throated Gray Warblers, plus some chickadees. A Caspian
Tern was the highlight of seabird viewing.

At Chambers Bay I had 8 Sanderlings, a Baird's Sandpiper, 4 Least
Sandpipers and several Killdeer. No Semipalmated Plovers present when I was
there. All shorebirds were seen north of the beach access ramp. The beach
is mostly rocky but at low tide a small patch of sand is revealed north of
the access, and the shorebirds seemed to love that one stretch of sandy
shore. An adult Osprey flew low overhead and a juvenile was vocalizing as I
left.

All in all a great day, with several nice shorebird sightings. Sanderling
is a new County bird, bringing my Pierce total up to 194!

Christopher Clark
Sumner, WA