[Tweeters] Snohomish County Purple Martins

stan Kostka lynn Schmidt lynnandstan at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 9 07:39:45 PDT 2016

Hi Tweets,

Yesterday evening we observed a Second Year pair of Purple Martins still feeding 28 day old nestlings at English Boom on Camano Island. I expect the young will fledge soon, perhaps today. So this most likely will be the second latest nest I have ever personally observed. (Many years ago, 2002 I think it was, I banded 14 day old nestlings on September 1st, and they fledged on September 14.) The adults that were feeding the young yesterday were the only martins we saw from 6 until about 730 PM, when many martins began returning to the site. They came and went in groups of about 20 birds at a time, and each time they came through the site a few went into their cavities to roost for the night. We left at about 8 PM and many martins were still in the air.

The nestbox containing the late nest was used by starlings earlier in the year, which may explain the late martin nesting. However, there were other unused nestboxes at the site.

Stan Kostka
lynnandstan at earthlink.net
Arlington