[Tweeters] Westport Pelagic Trip, Sept. 12, Laysan Albatross, Buller's and Short-tailed Shearwaters and Northern Flicker!

Bruce LaBar blabar at harbornet.com
Tue Sep 13 17:17:38 PDT 2016

After Sunday’s scheduled pelagic trip was cancelled, we were able to have a very wonderful day on Monday with great weather and much calmer seas. We were joined by groups from Minnesota, Wisconsin and a couple from Idaho.
Our trip took a more northerly path because of lack of shrimp boats nearby. Phil Anderson noted there was a long-liner boat to the north that often gets lots of seabirds, especially albatross, attracted to it and that’s where we headed.
This plan worked wonderfully as 165 Black-footed Albatross were gathered waiting for left-overs from the fishing boat. We then motored several miles away and put out a chum which attracted many seabirds. The highlights here were excellent comparisons between Short-tailed and Sooty Shearwaters that were on the water and close to the boat. Our only 2 Fork-tailed Storm Petrels gave brief views but didn’t stay in the slick. A Pomarine Jaeger and 23 Sabine’s Gulls were also seen seen here. As we left the slick and started back, we were surprised when a LAYSAN ALBATROSS came out of nowhere and gave all excellent views.
While in deep water at 29 miles offshore, we noted a struggling bird in the water. It was a Northern(Red-Shafted) Flicker being harassed by California Gulls. This was one lost bird at sea! We were able to rescue it and later release it at Westhaven State Park. Other highlights were the sightings of 7 Buller’s Shearwaters, 4 Parasitic Jaegers in the harbor and the continuing Bar-tailed Godwit with the 700 Marbled Godwits as we came into the marina.
Mammal sightings were scarce with no whales seen but one Northern Fur Seal put on a show for everyone.

Totals

American Wigeon-35
Northern Pintail-36
Surf Scoter-29
White-winged Scoter-2
Red-throated Loon-1
Pacific Loon-4
Common Loon-4
Red-necked Grebe-1
LAYSAN ALBATROSS-1
Black-footed Albatross-177
Northern Fulmar-11
Pink-footed Shearwater-198
BULLER’S SHEARWATER-7
Sooty Shearwater-169
Short-tailed Shearwater-3
Fork-tailed Storm Petrel-2
Brandt’s Cormorant-37
Double-crested Cormorant-17
Pelagic Cormorant-12
Brown Pelican-260
Wandering Tattler-2, jetty
BAR-TAILED GODWIT-1, marina
Marbled Godwit-700, marina
Red-necked Phalarope-22
Red Phalarope-4
Pomarine Jaeger-1
Parasitic Jaeger-4
Common Murre-1248
Cassin’s Auklet-88
Rhinoceros Auklet-16
Sabine’s Gull-41
Heermann’s Gull-185
California Gull-923
Herring Gull-4
Glaucous-winged x Western Gull-392

Mammals
Harbor Porpoise-4
Harbor Seal-2
Northern Fur Seal-2
California Sea Lion-5
Steller’s Sea Lion-11

also 10 Ocean Sunfish

Our next pelagic trips are scheduled for Sept. 24 and 25 and three in October. Spaces are available! To make reservations and to inquire about our trips, please visit our website at www.westportseabirds.com

Leaders for yesterday’s trip were Scott Mills and myself. Boat personnel and spotters were Phil and Chris Anderson

Bruce LaBar