[Tweeters] Late summer/early autumn birding

Izzy Wong gobirder at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 16:20:46 PDT 2016

During this in-between period, when the winter birds have mostly not shown up yet, and the summer residents are in migration, we can find some interesting sightings out there. By interesting, I don’t refer necessarily to rarities, but to location and numbers.

Last weekend, we spent a bit of time in Kittitas County. Not much going on at the Cle Elum Fish Hatchery at first. With a bit of patience, we eventually had several WARBLING VIREOS, with one of them even vocalizing. Also, we were treated to large flocks of CEDAR WAXWINGS, and many YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS. At one point, I thought I heard a GRAY CATBIRD. I waited. I called Kendrick over to help me find it. Eventually, it showed, and there even might have been a second one, although it was hard to tell for sure. (damn leaves!) YELLOW WARBLERS were also around, as were RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES.

One of the biggest highlights was a LEWIS’S WOODPECKER along the Vantage Highway. Got great looks at it, as it sat for a while on a snag.

There was still at least one SAY’S PHOEBE at Gingko St. Park. We were super excited to see large numbers of GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS here, also. And, about 6 or so Bighorn Sheep were feeding in the hills across the camping area. More Warbling Vireo and Yellow-rumped Warblers were found here, as well.

Wanapum St. Park was another spot for large numbers of GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS and a couple of RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS. Perhaps nicest sighting of all here was that of two TOWNSEND’S SOLITAIRES. They allowed for close views, and posed nicely for a photo shoot. We also got great views of a HERMIT THRUSH, which was unexpected, although perhaps not unusual for the location. (not sure about how unusual in September.)

The Columbia River held several WHITE PELICANS, a few COMMON MERGANSERS, and some LESSER SCAUP.

Overall number of species was a bit on the low side, but the birds seen were amazing. My reliable totem bird, the ROCK WREN, made a showing, so it all felt complete.

good birding,
izzy wong
seattle, wa
gobirder at gmail.com