Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Sep 15 14:23:57 PDT 2016

Tweets – It was mostly cloudy, windless, QUIET. Even the few birds that were around seemed extremely uncooperative.

Highlights:

A PIED-BILLED GREBE in the slough caught a fish, and then three COMMON MERGANSER were ganging up on him, trying to steal the fish. It appeared the Pied-billed won.

A GREEN HERON showed up at the Rowing Club pond on our way back out.

A juvenile COOPER’S HAWK was being chased over the slough by three ANNA’S HUMMINGBIRDS.

Two or three VIRGINIA RAILS called back to clapping across the slough from the start of the boardwalk.

A SPOTTED SANDPIPER flew upstream past the Rowing Club dock. Getting late for them.

BARN OWLS did not put on a great show this morning. The meadows were foggy early, and that may also have hidden them. We did get some glimpses.

We had quite a few sightings of RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER, one of whom was drumming. We also had a HAIRY WOODPECKER, and two PILEATED WOODPECKERS flew up the East Meadow giving us great looks. We may have heard Downy Woodpecker a couple of times, but never well enough to make the list.

Right as we were leaving the parking lot just after 7a.m., a MERLIN flew right over us.

At the east end of the boardwalk we saw a PACIFIC WREN. This is at least two weeks earlier in fall than we’ve ever had one. First of Fall. We had probably at least 2 RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS. Also, First of Fall, also a bit early, though we’ve had earlier before.

Also FOF were several AMERICAN PIPITS, with two seen on the grass soccer fields.

Warblers were very scarce. Except for COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, we had just one that was probably a YELLOW WARBLER, and some glimpses that might have been a YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER. Where are they???

We had a 7-sparrow day, with First of Fall FOX SPARROWS, including one singing, a few GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS, including one singing, and 20+ SAVANNAH SPARROWS that were very bright, with lots of yellow on their faces.

I stopped for a lake view after the walk, and had our only gulls (1 CALIFORNIA, 1 GLAUCOUS-WINGED) and our only OSPREY – 4. Even with those, the day total was only 53 species (down from 68 last week!)

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com